January 17, 2018:
7. The SCN system is also undergoing much-needed maintenance,
requiring significant time from our volunteers. Some of you may be
experiencing longer-than-usual response times when requesting account
registration changes and using other SCN services.
8. We need your volunteer skills! If you are interested in
volunteering to help with web editing, system maintenance, help desk,
the computer give-away program, or something else, please contact
volunteer-info @ scn. org.
'Login' to SCN is currently unavailable. Volunteers are working to fix the problem.
Other longer term info is noted below.
1. Email (Spam): New policies have been implemented on the email server that eliminates about 98% of Unsolicited Bulk Email (UBE, aka spam). Although a significant amount still gets through and we are working on reducing that. In addition to stricter requirements we are also more aggressively blocking some email IP addresses sent to SCN. If that is the case and the sender is not a spammer, please notify help @ scn. org, or, if that email is rejected, use scn.helpdesk @ gmail. com as a temporary workaround. Also, some email providers (like Juno) may have started blocking SCN incoming emails because of spam issues.
2. Email (Inbox overload): Some accounts have inboxes which are 'overloaded' (max 50kb allowed) and therefore email is 'blocked' due to an incoming email overload (spam etc). One way to correct that problem is with using Pine to delete inbox emails and then get back to us asap so the account may be 'unblocked'.
3. WebMail: Currently not available, and may not be for the foreseeable future.
4. 'User Websites' (www.scn.org/~username/): Currently not available, and may not be for some time.
5. Telnet / SSH: The "telnet" remote login service, used for connecting to SCN or other systems, is insecure, and is being retired. Please use an SSH based client, such as 'PuTTY' (Version 0.70), to connect to SCN, and check your configuration that you are in 'ssh' mode (not 'telnet'). For details on using puTTY please see 'Using PuTTY'. Other SSH clients for Windows can be found at 'alternatives to PuTTy'. More information on SSH-based clients for older operating systems can be found at 'Secure Shell (SSH)'.
6. SCN Website: Ongoing maintenance will involve an extensive edit of the
SCN web site content, which will include removing obsolete information, links and link trees, buttons, etc. If there is some particular piece of content on which you depend, please contact the help desk.
apologize for any inconvenience you may encounter and appreciate your
SCN System Team